Growing up in New England, my father would send us outside each winter to find identical snowflakes whenever it snowed. The promise of a reward would keep my siblings and me outside for hours! No matter how long and hard we tried, we never found two snowflakes alike.
Even though we never found a matching pair, we did notice many common traits among the flakes. They were cold, white, wet, and they sparkled.
Snowflakes are not the only things that are unique. Each business and its owner is also one of a kind. Two companies can be next door to each other, start the same day, owned by identical twins, provide the same services, and still not be anything alike. One may grow and become profitable, the other struggle, flounder, and eventually close their doors.
What are the secrets of success? The actual business owners!
Successful business owners are not born with unique talents or special gifts. They acquire everything they need along the way.
To be a profitable entrepreneur, you must be willing to put in the time and effort to develop daily habits, resiliency, and motivation.
Here are seven habits that successful business owners have in common.
- Have goals and review them daily. If you’re like most people, you don’t have a set of concrete and measurable goals. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking, knowing what you want, and reminding yourself daily.
- Surround yourself with the right people. Successful individuals have people who support them and their goals. They have a team and social network that think like them. If you want to be a success, recognize you can’t do it alone. Spend your time with other successful people.
- Read regularly. Highly successful individuals are continually increasing their knowledge and skills. For example, Mark Cuban claims to read three hours each day. You don’t have to read for three hours, but it’s essential to make reading a daily habit. Start with 20 minutes and increase from there.
- Work toward your goals DAILY, even when you don’t feel like it. If you wait for perfect conditions, you’ll never get anywhere. If you are consistent in your efforts, you can make progress each day. To get started, force yourself to work for just 10 minutes. Let momentum keep you going.
- Minimize distractions. The most successful people isolate themselves from the world occasionally to get things done. You might not have investors and fans knocking on your door, but there is the internet, TV, and kids. When you’re working, keep distractions to a minimum.
- Take setbacks in stride. Individuals that struggle can be quickly distracted by obstacles and setbacks. High achievers aren’t bothered by such challenges. They have resiliency and maintain a balanced perspective. The more challenges you can handle with poise, the more success you’ll enjoy.
- Make things happen. Successful people don’t sit around and wait. They make the most of their abilities and find a way to make small advancements until they reach their goal. They are assertive without being rude.
Success is always within reach for anyone with a positive attitude and consistent habits that support their goals. A few lucky people are born with a practical perspective and practices. The rest must cultivate them.
If you are one of a few, or unique as a snowflake, choose a few of these “habits” and begin implementing them in your life. Success is bound to come your way.
May your actions and habits lead you to achieve your goals in 2021!